Desert Empire Palms Knows Medjool Date Palms
There’s good reason the Medjool Date Palm is such a popular choice for residential and commercial properties. From its cold hardiness to its fruit’s versatility, the Medjool Date Palm is an excellent addition to your own personal oasis.
At Desert Empire Palms, we take pride in offering quality palms. From landscaping to delivery and installation—we have you taken care of! Read below to learn more about the Medjool Date Palm with these fun facts.
Call the Coachella Valley palm tree experts at Desert Empire Palms to discuss growing your very own Medjool Date Palm!
7 Fun Facts about Medjool Date Palms
- Date Palms were first planted in the Coachella Valley in the 1890s. Some of the original palm trees (or their offshoots) are still in existence in Southern California! Now, the Medjool Date Palm can be planted and thrive across the southwest from California to Nevada, Arizona to New Mexico, to as far east as Florida and South Carolina, and some regions in between. The Medjool date palm is extremely cold-hardy while also saltwater tolerant, making it a versatile palm for an aesthetic or functional landscaping addition in various personal and commercial properties.
- California now grows 95% of Medjool dates in the United States. In fact, just one date tree can produce up to 10,000 dates in one harvest season! Dates must be harvested by hand and are actually fresh fruit – although the long shelf life of dried dates is a popular grocery store product, you can actually eat your dates right off the tree! In fact, the Medjool Date is even known as the king of dates. They’re larger, darker, and more caramel-like in taste than other common types like Deglet Noor.
- Medjool Date Palms and Deglet Date Palms are Different. There are over 2,500 species of date palms around the world, but Medjool Date Palms and Deglet Date Palms are two popular date palm tree varieties for landscaping in Southern California. Both of these date palm trees, however, are quite different in both size and the fruits each produce. The Medjool Date Palm frond and canopy are larger and heavier, while the Deglet provides more sparse, feathery palms. As for the fruit each species produces, the Medjool date is rich and sweet with a hint of caramel and is soft and chewy in texture. Deglet dates are smaller and less sweet, with a firmer texture. The intended function of your date palm often determines your choice of tree.
- Medjool dates are considered the world’s oldest cultivated fruit. Archeological evidence shows that date palms were grown in Ancient Egypt before 3000 B.C. According to a Persian proverb, the date palm tree offered 360 uses including lumber and building supplies, mattresses, needle and thread, rope, basket weaving and other household items, medicinal and healing methods, as well as food and drink. The Ancient Egyptians even used fruits to make wine!
- Dates are a superfood. These nutty, sweet fruits have an abundance of health benefits!
- Dates contain tons of antioxidants, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals.
- Dates are high in carbohydrates and natural sugars, dates are an excellent natural fuel for your body.
- Consuming dates can protect your heart, improve bone health, help regulate cholesterol and blood pressure, and promote brain health.
- Dates have also proven to be beneficial for skin, inflammation prevention, and in supporting healthy digestion.
- Dates are also an excellent sweetener in cooking and baking and make a perfect 1:1 substitution for granulated sugar!
- Medjool Date Palms are easy to grow. Southern California provides an ideal climate for Medjool Date Palms. From the desert to the waterside, Medjool Date Palms feel at home, as the climate and terrain are similar to their North African and Mediterranean roots. As a result, almost anyone can successfully add a Medjool Date Palm to their landscape!
- Medjool Dates Palms are the most popular date palm. Even colder or desert areas can feel tropical with the Medjool Palm. The Medjool Date Palm offers lush, natural beauty with a large, long-lasting canopy and the ease of low-maintenance foliage. And, as the producer of the delicious Medjool Date fruit, the Medjool Date Palm delivers countless advantages that make it the prime choice for anyone wanting to improve their landscape.
Find Date Palms and More at Desert Empire Palms
For over 80 years, Desert Empire Palms has utilized generational experience to provide some of the most beautiful and fruitful date palms in the nation. With our expertise in growing, landscape design, and our services in delivery and installation, you’ll have the tools and knowledge to enjoy and care for your palms for years to come.
Live outside of Southern California? We are proud to offer cross-country delivery services with primary service to the Southwestern United States. Call our palm growers today to learn how to add a Medjool Date Palm to your landscaping dreams!